Tuesday, November 25, 2008

i'm a twilighter too!


yes, i got bitten...  

i have all 4 books by stephenie meyer, but i've only read as far as the first book (twilight) and the second book (new moon), which was ed's donation to my growing book collection. hahaha! so thank u much ed =) that was very nice of you (read: the pautang that ended up as my going away present hahaha!). 

i've actually read them both twice.  when i first heard of the series, a love triangle between a vampire, a human girl and a werewolf, i thought "hmmm...  must be a  tamer version of laurell hamilton's anita blake series."  and maybe it is.

the characters have very memorable lines.  uber sa kilig factor (god, i hope the movie doesn't disappoint).  as i got to know edward's character in the first few chapters of the book, i want a vampire boyfriend too!  :D  if you read the back cover of the book, you will not be able to resist. i know i couldn't.

About three things I was absolutely positive.

First, Edward was a vampire.

Second, there was a part of him -
and I didn't know how dominant that part might be -
that thirsted for my blood.

And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.



those lines did it for me. and before i knew it, i was signing up my name on the waiting list at powerbooks (yup, they ran out of it back in august).

edward is not exactly harry potter.  there's no comparison (at least not for me).  this book will take you through the agony and ecstasy brought about by first love (just like a walk down memory lane). first love complicated by the fact that bella swan is in love with not your average vampire, a vegan vamp (if you want to know what that is get your own copy of the bloody book).

the second book (which as ed's donation), New Moon is probably the most heart breaking book i've ever read.  spoiler alert: yes they broke up in this book.  i nearly wept when i got to the empty pages...  such emptiness (sniff...sniff).  

it's so bloody difficult not to feel sorry for her when they broke up. heartbreaks give you the illusion that time stopped for you.  but the truth is, the world goes on. it doesn't care about your pain. 

as for the female protagonist in the book, bella swan, you would either hate or love her.  she's a total Klutz.  if there's one thing she's certain about, she wanted to be with edward and she wanted to be a vampire.  unfortunately edward doesn't feel the same way.  he wanted her to remain human and age and die like any human beings do.  

and there are times when i can't help but get angry at bella for leading jacob (spoiler alert again: yes, he's the werewolf).  i mean he's such a nice guy...  reminds me of another werewolf, richard, of the anita blake series.  i had to put off reading the third book in the series (eclipse) because i'm uberworked (read: got a deadline again on friday!).  


anyway, this is on the back cover of New Moon:

"I knew we were both in mortal danger.  Still in that instant, I felt well.  Whole.  I could feel my heart racing in my chest, the blood pulsing hot and fast through my veins again.  My lungs filled deep within the sweet scent that came off his skin.  It was like there had never been any hole in my chest.  I was prefect - not healed, but as if there had never been a wound in the first place."



simply unputdownable.  like i mentioned, i read the books twice

and if you're a die-hard twilight fan, aka twilighter, this is for u.



"Even more, I had never meant to love him. One thing I truly knew - knew it in the pit of my stomach, in the center of my bones, knew it from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet, knew it deep in my empty chest - was how love gave someone the power to break you.  I'd been broken beyond repair."
-- Bella, from New Moon (Stephenie Meyer)

No comments: